Nigerian Government signs new agreement with resident doctors over planned strike action

 

The Nigerian Government has announced that it had reached a deal with the National Association of Resident Doctors in relation to a planned strike action by the group.

The agreement, according to Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, was signed on Thursday morning by both parties.

Resident doctors had lamented government’s failure to pay salaries of some house officers, non-recruitment of house officers, abolishment of the bench fees for doctors undergoing training in hospitals, non-payment of National Minimum Wage and hazard allowances.

Speaking with journalists after the deal was reached on Thursday morning, Ngige assured that government was going to keep to their own side of the bargain.

He said, “Twelve hours is a lot of time. Everybody will be working; Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria will be working and hopefully by tomorrow (Friday), you will experience the payment as agreed here for the second category of doctors (an overflow of the MDCN quota). We hope it must happen tomorrow and continue.

“So, by the time the chairman of the CMDs comes up with his final list and harmonises it with MDCN, we won’t have issue anymore over this payment or whether some doctors have not been paid.

“We are happy that you understand. So, I give you assurance that most of the things written here will be done. We will assist the Federal Ministry of Health, Finance Ministry and Office of Accountant -General of the Federation to make sure that they keep to their own side of the bargain.

“The MOA says that you will talk to your people and we hope that when you come to collect your own copy tomorrow, you can tell the nation that you people are not strike-mongers and that you are happy with the decisions taken so far.”

 

Latest news
Related news

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here