By Wisdom Deji-Folutile
The UN’s World Food Programme has reported that ground teams have continued to face access problems in delivering much-needed supplies to the starving region.
The Tigray People’s Liberation Front, the former rulers in the area, said on Monday that it was back in control of the regional capital Mekelle after nearly eight months of fighting.
The WFP Emergency Coordinator, Tommy Thompson, said that fighting continued in some “hot zones” and that 35 WFP staff had been trapped during the hostilities.
READ ALSO: Twitter ban in Nigeria’s interest -Malami
“WFP suspended its operations for only about 48 hours, and we began operating in the northwest fairly quickly thereafter, managing to reach probably by the end of this weekend probably about 40,000 people,” he said.
Thompson also expressed cautious optimism that an air bridge would be set up in the coming days, which would aid the delivery of supplies to the Tigray region.
Earlier this year, the UN had warned that hundreds of thousands of people were at risk of starvation in the war-torn Tigray region.