President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday approved the appointment of Dr Fatima Waziri-Azi as the Director-General of the National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons.
The Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said this in a statement titled, ‘President Buhari appoints Fatima Waziri-Azi as DG NAPTIP’.
According to the statement, Waziri-Azi’s appointment was after the recommendation of the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Ms Sadiya Farouq.
Farouq said Waziri-Azi’s recommendation was based on her achievements and vast experience.
Here are five things to know about the new NAPTIP DG as compiled by AF24NEWS:
Read also: Buhari appoints Waziri-Azi NAPTIP DG
• Since November 2018, she has served as a Rule of Law Advisor to the President at the Office of the Vice President.
• She holds Bachelors of Law degree from the Ahmadu Bello University. She also holds Masters in Law degree from St Thomas University School of Law, Miami, Florida, United States. Also, she holds a Doctor of Juridical Science from the University of Pittsburgh School of Law, Pennsylvania, US.
• She is an Associate Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, United Kingdom. She is also a member, Nigerian Bar Association, New York County Lawyers Association, Association of Women in Development, and Women in International Security.
• She is an Associate Professor & Former Head of Department, Public Law at the Nigerian Institute of Advanced Legal Studies.
• She previously worked as a Research & Programme Officer with the Presidential Advisory Committee Against Corruption (PACAC). She also worked as a Legal Fellow at Transparency International, US.