Lagos building collapse: No directive given for demolition of remaining structures, official says

Mr Gbenga Omotoso, Lagos Commissioner for Information and Strategy, says the state has not given a directive on the demolition of the remaining two structures at the site of the building that collapsed in Ikoyi.

Last week, a 21-storey building located on Gerrard Road in Ikoyi collapsed, with over 40 bodies recovered so far.

Babajide Sanwo-Olu, Governor of Lagos, inaugurated a tribunal to probe the collapse of the storey building.

In a Wednesday statement, Omotoso said an integrity test had yet to be conducted on the two other buildings and therefore, it is wrong to speculate that the buildings will be demolished.

“The Panel of Inquiry instituted into the collapse of the building has continued to sit, and an integrity test has yet to be conducted on the two buildings. It is, therefore, wrong to assert or speculate that the buildings will be demolished,” he said.

“The operation at the site of the collapsed building continues. Vehicular movement around the site has been smooth following the reopening of the road.

“Two more bodies were recovered from the site today. The recovery of the two bodies has brought to 45 the number of bodies retrieved from the site.

READ ALSO: Collapsed Ikoyi building: 29 families submit DNA samples for bodies identification

“The identification of bodies of the victims of the incident has continued at IDH, Yaba, Lagos Mainland. Thirty-two families have come forward to submit samples for DNA to identify bodies that they wish to claim. In cases where identification is clear and there are no arguments, the bodies will be released to the families.”

Omotoso added that a committee comprising senior officials of the ministries of health and justice has started working on identification and release of the bodies.

Latest news
Related news

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here